We know that you have many choices in selecting the best education for your child and we thank you for making PUSD your first choice.

While every child living within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, a different campus might offer a specialized program or focus that better meets the interests and needs of the individual student.

PUSD's annual winter Open Enrollment process offers families an opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their assigned neighborhood school in the next academic year.

Monday, August 14th: First day of school for 2017-2018!

Applications are closed for 2017-18 Open Enrollment.

PUSD families are encouraged to visit their school of residence during business hours from now through June 9, 2017 to complete registration for the upcoming academic year. Registration will resume August 1, 2017 as PUSD schools are closed for summer recess. Please note, children enrolling in Kindergarten must be five years old by September 1, 2017.

New families who just moved into the district and missed 2017-18 Open Enrollment—PUSD's annual school choice process—may request an intradistrict permit at the Education Center, 351 S. Hudson, Room 210, beginning June 6, 2017. Requests are for schools/grades that did not fill Open Enrollment projected seats and have space. No requests accepted after 12 p.m., August 11, 2017.

Non-resident families are welcome to apply for interdistrict permits to enroll in PUSD campuses with space, including high school academies, art and STEM magnet schools, and International Baccalaureate programs, beginning May 8, 2017 in Room 210. An interdistrict permit release from the family's home district needs to accompany the application.

The Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records is ready to help locate schools, provide registration information, and answer questions. We invite you to call us at 626-396-3639.

Important Dates

May 8 — June 16 Interdistrict Permit Requests to Enter/Exit PUSD
June 6 — August 11, 2017 Transfers to School of Residence and New-to-PUSD Intradistrict Requests Accepted at District Office Only

* This calendar reflects recent changes to PUSD Board Policy 5116.1 and is subject to change.

More Information

District Office Location

351 S. Hudson Ave., Pasadena

View Larger Map

2017-2018 Open Enrollment Presentation

Questions & Answers

What is Open Enrollment?

Open Enrollment is Pasadena Unified School District's (PUSD) school of choice program that offers Altadena, Pasadena and Sierra Madre families the opportunity to attend schools outside of their neighborhood school's attendance boundaries. While every child living within PUSD boundaries is guaranteed placement at their school of residence, one campus may have a special program or focus that best meets the needs or interest of an individual student.

Each winter, the Open Enrollment process offers District families the opportunity to apply online for a school other than their school of residence. Enrollment is based on demographic data about the number of school-age children residing within a campus' attendance boundaries. Any seats not occupied by neighborhood students are made available. Space is limited. You may view the number of available spaces at each grade level for schools and programs online.

Whenever the number of applications exceeds the number of available seats at a particular school, a computer-generated random lottery process is utilized to fill the seats. Open Enrollment includes two random lotteries.

Once enrolled, a student does not have to annually reapply.

Who should apply for Open Enrollment and how do we apply?

  • All incoming Kindergarten-12th grade students currently residing in the Pasadena Unified School District are eligible to apply.
  • Complete a 2017-18 application online January 12-February 3, or April 3-7 for the second lottery.
  • Indicate up to five school/program choices in order of preference.
  • Submit the application from any computer with internet service; there is no preference for being first to apply and revisions may be made up until the deadline.
  • Families do not apply if planning to attend their school of residence.

What is my school of residence?

To find your school of residence, visit the School Locator. If you need assistance please call the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records, 626-396-3639.

How do I select the ideal school for my child?

First, visit your school of residence, meet the staff and visit classrooms. Explore other PUSD schools and signature programs. All campuses offer rigorous academic programs aligned to the Common Core Standards, highly qualified teachers, and an array of enrichment opportunities. PUSD schools continue to demonstrate consistent academic achievement. Inquire about before and after-school care programs and also review school profiles online.

If my child is accepted to a school outside of our neighborhood, will he or she receive transportation?

The District offers transportation for most signature programs. Please refer to the 2016-17 Transportation Schedule.

At what age is my child eligible to enroll in Kindergarten? Transitional Kindergarten? Expanded Transitional Kindergarten?

Children must be five years old on or before September 1, 2017 to enroll in Kindergarten for the school year beginning August 2017. Children turning five years old between September 2 and December 2, 2017 may enroll in Transitional Kindergarten; Expanded Transitional Kindergarten is offered for children turning five between December 3, 2017 and March 31, 2017. Students eligible for Transitional Kindergarten and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten begin on the first day of school in August 2016.

If my child is currently attending a PUSD Pre-School, Expanded Transitional Kindergarten, or Transitional Kindergarten, should we apply for Open Enrollment?

Yes, if the current school the child attends is not the student's school of residence. Enrollment at a PUSD Pre-School, Expanded Transitional, or Transitional Kindergarten class does not guarantee a student will be enrolled at that same school for Kindergarten. Families must go through the District's Open Enrollment process to have their student attend a school other than their home school for Kindergarten.

If I am interested in having my child attend a Magnet Grant school, do I apply?

Yes, to attend a Magnet Grant school that is not the school of residence, families apply. PUSD's two magnet elementary schools are Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy and Washington Elementary STEM Magnet. The two middle school magnets are Eliot Arts Magnet and Washington STEAM Magnet Academy.

Note: If applying for the Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program at Jackson you will need to select that specific language program when making school selections on the application.

Do I submit an application to enroll in a College & Career Academy?

Yes, to attend a College & Career Academy not offered at your school of residence. Fifty percent of the total number of open seats is available for students residing outside the attendance area of the requested Academy. APP Academy only accepts students entering 9th grade and has an eligibility requirement: the student must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA to apply.

Should I submit an Open Enrollment application to enroll my child in a Dual Language Immersion Program?

Yes. If your child will be starting Kindergarten, you will need to complete an application to attend one of PUSD's four Dual Language Immersion campuses: San Rafael Elementary-Spanish, Jackson STEM Dual Language Magnet Academy-Spanish, Jefferson Elementary-Spanish, Field Elementary-Mandarin Chinese, and Altadena Elementary-French. However, these schools offer "neighborhood preference" (see below) for students living within a defined area of the respective school.

Is there an assessment prior to attending a Dual Language Immersion Program?

There are no requirements to apply for PUSD's Spanish and Mandarin Chinese dual language programs, but a student who applies and is accepted as a Spanish, Mandarin or French-dominant speaker will need to pass a language assessment verifying native-language knowledge and skills prior to final registration. If it's determined the child is not a Spanish, Mandarin or French dominant speaker, the child will not be able to register.

Do I submit an Open Enrollment application to enroll my child in Marshall Fundamental?

Marshall Fundamental is not a school of residence with attendance boundaries; therefore an Open Enrollment application must be submitted to attend Marshall Fundamental. This school offers "neighborhood preference." See below.

What is "Neighborhood Preference"?

Permit-only schools and dual language campuses are subject to "neighborhood preference," which means 50 percent of the total number of open seats is set aside for students who live within defined zones around these schools. However, preference only applies when seats are available in the requested grade levels and applicants who live in the "neighborhood preference" zones list the school as their first choice on the application.

Applicants are selected through a random lottery. If not selected via "neighborhood preference" a student's application is re-entered into the general lottery.

Note: For College & Career Academies, 50 percent of the total number of open seats is available for students residing outside the school attendance area of the requested Academy.

If I have more than one child in my household, do I need to submit a separate application for each child?

Yes. Each student must submit a separate online application. All efforts will be made to ensure that families with twins or same-grade siblings are accepted into the same school provided the school/program choices are identical and in the same priority order on both applications.

Will my child be considered for admission if we submit an application after the February 3, 2017 application deadline?

Yes. You may submit an application during the late application-second lottery phase, April 3-7, provided your child did not register either during the priority phase of Open Enrollment or following the first lottery. The second lottery includes unfilled seats from the first lottery.

Is there a wait list following the lotteries?

Applicants not offered any placement in the second lottery will be put on a wait list for their first choice school. Projected openings unfilled following the second lottery registration period will be offered to applicants based on wait list standing until all projected seats are filled. No other wait lists will be maintained.

Do I need to submit an application if my child already attends a school other than our school of residence?

No. You need to submit an application only if:

  • You wish to apply for a different PUSD school in the 2017-18 school year, or,
  • You are enrolling your child in PUSD for the first time and wish to enroll in a school other than your school of residence.

What if my child is not accepted at any of the schools I have selected?

You will need to register at your neighborhood school, your school of residence.

What should I do to register my child at our school of residence?

To support the school's planning, families are encouraged to enroll by March 3, 2017. Simply go to your school of residence to register your child. If you are registering for the first time at a PUSD school, you will need to present the following:

  • Original birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, immigration certificate, bible record
  • Most recent immunization and vaccination record
  • Proof of residency in the form of a recent gas, electric or water bill in parent/guardian's name
  • Second proof of residency in the form of either a deed of trust, mortgage payment receipt, rental/lease
  • agreement, property tax bill or closing escrow papers in parent/guardian's name
  • Transcripts from previous school, if applicable
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP), if applicable

If my application is accepted, how do I secure my child's seat at the school?

You must complete the registration process to secure a seat at a school. See above for required registration documents. Once you receive notice your application has been selected, you must register your child at that school by the deadline included in the notification with proof of residency documents that correspond to the address entered on the application. If a child is not registered by the deadline, the spot will be forfeited. (PUSD considers US Mail not returned to the District as notification delivered.)

Can I change schools during the year?

No. PUSD does not grant mid-year transfers. If your child is currently attending a PUSD school other than your school of residence and you wish to change enrollment to the school of residence, you will need to wait until the end of the school year to un-enroll at which time you may present two proofs of residency (see above) at the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records by July 28, 2017 to receive an intradistrict permit to the school of residence. No transfers will be permitted after July 29. The school a student is registered for on July 29 is the school of attendance for the academic year.

I am new to PUSD but missed Open Enrollment.

New families who missed Open Enrollment may request enrollment in a school that did not fill all projected seats at the close of Open Enrollment and has the space. This can vary by grade level within a school. This option closes the Friday before the first day of school.

What are the enrollment opportunities for students who do not reside within PUSD boundaries?

Non-resident families are welcome to explore PUSD signature programs: College & Career Academies in our high schools, Dual Language Immersion Programs in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese at elementary sites, the STEAM Magnet at Washington Middle School, Visual & Performing Arts at Eliot, the International Baccalaureate Programme at Willard Elementary School and Blair Middle and High School, and more. Non residents are invited to submit an online application for these signature programs April 3-7, 2017. For all other campuses, non-resident families submit interdistrict permit requests to attend a PUSD school beginning May 8.

How can I get even more information?

Contact the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records at 626-396-3639.

2017-2018 Kindergarten, Transitional & Expanded Transitional Kindergarten Information

Who can enroll in Kindergarten?

Children who turn five years old on or before September 1, 2017 are encouraged to enroll in Kindergarten. September 1st is the state and District's established cutoff date for Kindergarten.

Who can enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

Transitional Kinder is for children with birthdates between 9/2/2012 and 12/2/2012.

Who can enroll in Expanded Transitional Kindergarten (ETK)?

Children born between 12/3/2012 through to March 31, 2013 can enroll in Expanded Transitional Kindergarten.

Does PUSD make placement exceptions for children with birthdays close to the cutoff dates?

PUSD strongly supports the Kindergarten Readiness Act. State funding guidelines are based on adherence to prescribed birth dates. The District may consider enrolling a Transitional Kindergarten student in Kindergarten if the child turns five years old by September 20, 2012 and meets all requirements stated in BP/AR 5111.

What distinguishes Transitional Kindergarten from Kindergarten?

Transitional Kindergarten bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and gives children an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK provides the gift of time that will help students build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.

What is Expanded Transitional Kindergarten?

Expanded Transitional Kindergarten is an early learning-school readiness program to prepare younger children for success in school exemplifying PUSD's commitment to serve more four year olds as they develop into life-long learners.

After Transitional Kindergarten and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten, do students advance to Kindergarten or First Grade?

Both Transitional and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten mean the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students attend the assigned school for one year; after that, they go to Kindergarten at their school of residence or the family applies via Open Enrollment for another PUSD campus or program.

What PUSD schools have Transitional Kindergarten?

Eight PUSD schools host Transitional Kindergarten: Franklin, Jefferson, Longfellow, Madison, McKinley, Norma Coombs, Washington and Willard. Children are assigned to one of the eight schools based on their home address.

What schools have Expanded Transitional Kindergarten?

McKinley and Cleveland Elementary Schools are the District's Expanded Transitional Kindergarten sites. Applications for 2017-18 ETK enrollment will be available starting Tuesday, March 7th at the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records, Room 210.

How long is the class day for Transitional and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten?

Transitional and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten, like Kindergarten, are a full school day.

Is transportation provided for Transitional Kindergarten?

There is only bus transportation for Kindergarten.

Are there afterschool options for Transitional and Expanded Kindergarten children?

Pasadena LEARNs provides afterschool programming for PUSD students in all grades, including Transitional and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten. Registration occurs at the school site.

How do families register for Kindergarten? Transitional and Expanded Transitional Kindergarten?

Families with children entering Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten are invited to register children beginning March 2017 at their school of residence. To confirm the school of residence, see the School Locator. Information regarding registration for Expanded Transitional Kindergarten will be available soon.

What documents are needed to register in Pasadena Unified School District?

To register a child for the first time, the following documents need to be presented at the school office:

  • Child's birth certificate
  • Proof of current immunizations
  • Proof of rent/ownership within PUSD boundaries (deed of trust, property tax bill, lease agreement, rental payment receipt) in the parent/guardian name
  • Current utility bill in the parent/guardian name (the following are accepted: gas, electric or water)

For more information, please call the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Records (626) 396-3639 and visit the California Department of Education. If you are interested in Pre-Kindergarten programs, call or visit Burbank Early Education Center, 2046 N. Allen Ave., Altadena, CA (626) 396-5762.

Transportation Options

Pasadena Unified School District currently offers students bus transportation to many of its signature programs at elementary and middle schools and plans to continue this service next school year.

Please see the district's Transportation Department 2016-17 Schedule of Bus Stops (PDF).

The schedule confirms route numbers, pick up/drop off sites, and times.